Professional Yacht Training

It is now mandatory to hold a recognized International Certificate of Competency (ICC) if you wish to charter a boat in certain European and Scandinavian countries. IYT is uniquely authorized to issue ICCs on behalf of the Irish Government and the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).

Course Pricing – See All

  • 10M ICC – International Certificate of Competency – 2 Days – $875

What Is An International Certificate of Competency (ICC)?

The International Certificate of Competency (ICC) is a product of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. An ICC may be considered as an International License to operate a specific type and size of vessel within Greater European Waters; that is the countries that make up the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE or ECE).

It is a certificate, which may be issued to anyone who has successfully completed certain national boating licenses or has successfully passed an ICC examination to prove the necessary competence for pleasure craft operation. The ICC itself provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40. 

Resolution 40 lays down the competency standards required to be met and other legal requirements such as languages on the certificate, and was developed by a sub commission, The Inland Water Committee (IWC). Contact us for more details.

Which Countries Require or Accept an ICC?

22 of the 56 UNECE member nations have formally applied Resolution 40 (but not in its entirety in some cases). Generally they will accept an ICC: Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom. Often, even if an ICC is not required, local police, harbour masters and other local authorities understand the system and accept an ICC as sufficient proof of competence even when there is no legal obligation for them to do so.


The following countries have adopted Resolution 40 and officially accept the ICC as proof of boating competence within their territory:

  • Austria
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

The following countries have not adopted resolution 40 but do accept ICC’s for use within their territory:

  • France
  • Italy
  • Poland

The following countries have not accepted Resolution 40 but may require some other proof of boating competence before chartering there (check before you leave):

  • Greece
  • Moldova
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Russian Federation
  • Serbia
  • Sweden
  • Ukraine
  • United States

What Skills and Knowledge Are Required to Obtain an ICC?

The ICC requires both theory and practical examination. The written examination must be conducted in a recognized IYT partner school and usually takes about 1 hour. The ICC and CEVNI theory preparation course is available.

The practical examination takes place on a power boat.

Candidates are required to prove practical competency in boat handling skills, docking, maneuvering in confined spaces, navigation, pilotage, weather, man overboard and VHF radio operations.

Important Notice – Please Be Sure You Hold a Recognized ICC!

There are a number of boating organizations offering ICCs that are not recognized by the European Union and are not approved by any government authority. If in doubt please contact your charter company or Professional Yacht Training U.S.A.

What Waters Can I Operate My Vessel?

All ICC’s are for coastal waters, so if candidates want to use or charter a vessel on inland waters they will need to take and pass a CEVNI test

What Is CEVNI? (Code Europeen Des Voies De Navigation Interieure (Revision 2))

For ICC holders who wish to operate their vessels in Inland waters (Canals, lakes and rivers) they have to complete and pass a test which covers inland rules and signs. So anyone wishing to obtain the “Inland Waters” Endorsement, MUST pass an additional CEVNI Test for Inland Waterways.

What Vessels Can I Get an ICC to Operate?

  • Personal Watercraft – Coastal waters or Inland with CEVNI
  • Powerboat/RIB Skipper – Less than 10 metres, Coastal waters or Inland with CEVNI

Will an ICC Cover Competency Requirements to Charter a Boat?

Yes, if the area in which you are to charter is one of the countries listed above. For charter on inland waterways a CEVNI endorsement will be required.